How to Apply Nail Polish
*featured photo source Spreng Ben via Flickr
You have finally bought your first ever OMG nail polish! The question is how do you apply it then?
Most women find putting on nail polish as exhausting especially if you do not know how to do it. You eventually end up in a nail salon having your manicure and pedicure done. But do you know that you are just spending and wasting money over something you could actually do on your own and at the comfort of your own home? Since the nails are the crowning glory of your hands, here’s a step-by-step guide to having neatly painted nail polish on those tips:
What you will need:
- Baby oil or petroleum jelly
- Cotton buds
- Colored nail polish
- Clear nail polish
- Warm water
- Soap or liquid bath soap
Photo by Maria via Flickr
What you should do:
- Wash your hands clean and then pat them dry. Remember the best time to paint nail polish is when your hands are completely dry. You will notice that chipping occurs when the nail polish is applied on wet nails.
- Using a cotton bud, dab some baby oil or petroleum jelly on the sides of each nail. This will prevent the nail polish from drying if you accidentally applied polish on the sides of your nails.
- Start off with a clear base coat to strengthen and lengthen the lifespan of your painted nails.
- Apply your first coat of nail polish on to your nails. Now that you have placed the oil or jelly on the side, you don’t have to worry about it going over your nails.
- Let it dry. While letting it dry, you could watch your favorite series or read your favorite book.
- Apply a second coating to your nails, this time, make sure that you have spread it evenly across your nails. Let it dry.
- Apply a coat of clear polish on the top half of your nails. This will serve as an added protection to the tip of your nails.
- After it dries out, apply a full on clear coating to your nails. Let it dry.
- Soak your hands in a basin of cold water.
- Make a warm soapy solution by mixing the hot water and soap in the basin.
- Wash and soak your hands into the soap solution while rubbing the sides of the nails gently.
- Rinse your hands under cold running water and dry it out with the towel.
Voila! You’ve got yourself some happy nails! Now all you have to do is avoid this photo below from happening to your tips!
Photo by Arlington County via Flickr
Give your nails a few days of rest without nail polish before applying a new coat of nail polish!
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram for more tips and ideas!